Welcome to our Lab!
Our main research interest is to improve mechanistic understanding of flow and transport processes in agricultural and mountainous landscapes in California and across the globe. We are studying water and biogeochemical cycles through ground-based measurements, stochastic analysis and numerical modeling. We are interested in identifying shifts and thresholds in the hydrology and biogeochemistry of these systems to advance our predictive ability and to support planning and resource management decisions. As part of the UC Davis Hydrologic Sciences Graduate program (HSGG) our education program emphasizes hydrologic processes, contaminant fate and transport in surface waters and the vadose zone, field instrumentation for sampling and monitoring water, constituents and isotopes, snow and energy balance components, and climate-change impact assessment.
We are seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to assist in laboratory and field work within the Dahlke Lab as Assistant Specialist. More details can be found in this position description.
- 10 Jul.
- We received funding from NSF to investigate the dynamics of rural poverty, land use, and water in California's changing Central Valley
- 23 Mar.
- Check out our groundwater recharge research cover in Popular Science
- 10 Jan.
- Interview with Dan Charles from NPR about our groundwater recharge work!
- 31 Mar.
- Tiffany Kocis was awarded a NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. Congratulations!
- 16 Dec.
- Today I gave an invited talk at the American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting about our DNA tracer experiment on Storglaciären, Sweden.
- 19 Nov.
- Today we got the exciting news that our proposal to test DNA tracers for mapping hydrological flow pathways got funded by the Heising-Simons Foundation
- 17-18 Nov.
- Taught two lectures at the Introduction to Groundwater and Watershed Hydrology short course
- Over the last 8 days I had the chance to visit Chile for the first time. While in Chile I gave a workshop on snow hydrology for the Department of Water Resources and visited the Glaciar Universidad in the Central Andes.
- Gave a talk on our very exciting work on the "Test of simultaneous synthetic DNA tracer injections for the estimation of the englacial and subglacial drainage system structure of Storglaciären, northern Sweden".
Groundwater and Drought links
- 60 Minutes documentary on the California drought A must see!
- The Groundwater Sustainability Act passed on September 16, 2014.
- Insights: Water and Drought Online Seminar Series: A series of videos broadcasting expertise on various drought-related topics.
- Recommendations for Achieving Groundwater Sustainability (ACWA)
- Recommendations for Sustainable Groundwater Management: Developed Through a Stakeholder Dialogue (CWF)
- The California Statewide Groundwater Elevation Monitoring (CASGEM)
- California Assembly Bill 1739 (Dickinson, 2014)
- California Senate Bill 1168 (Pavley, 2014)