Welcome to our Lab!
Our main research interest is to improve mechanistic understanding of flow and transport processes in agricultural and mountainous landscapes in California and across the globe. We are studying water and biogeochemical cycles through ground-based measurements, stochastic analysis and numerical modeling. We are interested in identifying shifts and thresholds in the hydrology and biogeochemistry of these systems to advance our predictive ability and to support planning and resource management decisions. As part of the UC Davis Hydrologic Sciences Graduate program (HSGG) our education program emphasizes hydrologic processes, contaminant fate and transport in surface waters and the vadose zone, field instrumentation for sampling and monitoring water, constituents and isotopes, snow and energy balance components, and climate-change impact assessment.
- 31 Mar.
- Tiffany Kocis was awarded a NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. Congratulations!
- 16 Dec.
- Today I gave an invited talk at the American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting about our DNA tracer experiment on Storglaciären, Sweden.
- 19 Nov.
- Today we got the exciting news that our proposal to test DNA tracers for mapping hydrological flow pathways got funded by the Heising-Simons Foundation
- 17-18 Nov.
- Taught two lectures at the Introduction to Groundwater and Watershed Hydrology short course
- 4-5 Sep.
- Watershed Monitoring Technology Demonstration workshop at the UC Forestry Camp in Meadow Valley
- 2 Sep.
- Tiffany and Andrew,
Welcome to UC Davis!
- Check out our outlook on California groundwater. Out of sight but not out of mind: California refocuses on groundwater.
- Great day for the Groundwater Banking Project! We received the endorsement from the Orland-Artois Water District who would like to work with us on testing the feasibility of on-farm groundwater recharge.
- Today we finished the renovation and installation of new furniture in our lab's graduate student office.
- Welcome to Tiffany Kocis and Andrew Brown, two new M.Sc. students working on agricultural groundwater banking. Tiffany's research will focus on the water balance and surface water - groundwater interactions in groundwater recharge sites and Andrew will investigate the role of groundwater recharge on the fate and transport of contaminants within the soil and vadose zone.
- Welcome to the new webpage of the Dahlke Research Lab.
- Today I received the exciting news that my UC ANR proposal "Groundwater Banking: An Agricultural Systems Approach for Water security in California" got funded.
- Over the last 8 days I had the chance to visit Chile for the first time. While in Chile I gave a workshop on snow hydrology for the Department of Water Resources and visited the Glaciar Universidad in the Central Andes.
- Gave a talk on our very exciting work on the "Test of simultaneous synthetic DNA tracer injections for the estimation of the englacial and subglacial drainage system structure of Storglaciären, northern Sweden".
Groundwater and Drought links
- 60 Minutes documentary on the California drought A must see!
- The Groundwater Sustainability Act passed on September 16, 2014.
- Insights: Water and Drought Online Seminar Series: A series of videos broadcasting expertise on various drought-related topics.
- Recommendations for Achieving Groundwater Sustainability (ACWA)
- Recommendations for Sustainable Groundwater Management: Developed Through a Stakeholder Dialogue (CWF)
- The California Statewide Groundwater Elevation Monitoring (CASGEM)
- California Assembly Bill 1739 (Dickinson, 2014)
- California Senate Bill 1168 (Pavley, 2014)