Helen E. Dahlke
235 Veihmeyer Hall, LAWR
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
|Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA, September 2010.
Biological and Environmental Engineering
Friedrich-Schiller University, Jena, Germany, May 2004.
Department of Geography
Friedrich-Schiller University, Jena, Germany, June 2000.
Major in Geography, Minors in Geology and Ecology
Professional and Academic Experience
|April 2013 -
|Assistant Professor, Land, Air and Water Resources, University of California, Davis
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology, Stockholm University, Sweden
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Baltic Nest Institute, Stockholm University, Sweden
Graduate Research Assistant, Biological and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
University courses taught
- HYD298 How to use Matlab to solve problems in environmental, climatological and earth science research?
- "Introduction to the physics and energy balance of snow", block course taught at Stockholm University, Sweden together with Dr. Hendrik Huwald, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland, Dr. Mathias Bavaye, Snow and Avalanche Research Center, Davos, Switzerland, and Dr. Nikki Vercauteren, Humboldt fellow at Freie Universität Berlin, 2012.
- "Information and modeling systems for land and water resources", course co-taught at Stockholm University (GE7006) together with Dr. Steve Lyon, 2011, 2012.
- "Introduction to GIS, course taught at Cornell University" together with Dr. Zachary Easton, Virginia Tech and Becky Marjerison, Cornell University.
American Geophysical Union (AGU), European Geosciences Union (EGU), International Association of Hydrological Science (IAHS), International Glaciological Society (IGS), Swedish Society for Anthropology and Geography (SSAG), Society of Wetland Scientist (SWS), Society of Women Engineers (SWE), Alpha Epsilon Honor Society (Agricultural Engineering Honorary)
Member of the Research Advisory Committee of the Sierra Foothill Research and Extension Center
Member of the Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Group
Member of the Soil and Biogeochemistry Graduate Group
Invited lectures, workshops and convened sessions
- "Water as the mirror of landscapes: How useful a hypothesis for resource management?", Swedish University of agriculture Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden (2012). Co-organized with K. Bishop and S. Lyon
- "Glacier dynamics and hydrology" Nordic Branch meeting of the International Glaciological Society, 25-27 October 2012. Stockholm, Sweden.
- "Mountain Hydrology: Monitoring and modeling of snow" (merged with Sub-arctic hydrology) EGU session HS2.5, April 2012. Vienna, Austria. Co-convener with J. Parajka, M. Lehning, C. B. Ménard, and S. McGrane
- "Water resources, international perspective, water boundaries, virtual water", a guest lecture for Meteorology, hydrology and environmental measuring techniques (1TV015) at Uppsala University, Sweden, 2012.
- "Global data analysis using Matlab", a guest lecture for Global Hydrology (1HY115) at Uppsala University, Sweden, 2012.
- "Hydrological processes - pole to equator", a guest lecture for Global Hydrology (1HY115) at Uppsala University, Sweden, 2012.
- "Isotope Hydrology", a guest lecture for Climate and Society (GE 4011) at Stockholm University, Sweden, 2011.
- "Fluvial Geomorphology", a guest lecture for Glaciers and High Mountain Environments (GE5003) at Stockholm University, Sweden, 2011.
- "The New York City Water Supply", a guest lecture for Local to global water vulnerability and resilience (GE7025) at Stockholm University, Sweden, 2011.
- "Definition of a hydrologic catchment", a guest lecture for Climate, Hydrology, and Biogeography (GE2014) at Stockholm University, Sweden, 2010.
Generally accessible Web applications
- Decision support system for mapping and predicting hydrologically sensitive area http://hsadss.bee.cornell.edu/
Awards and fellowships
- Research stipend from the Göran Gustafsson Stiftelse för natur och miljö i Lappland, 2013.
- The Swedish Research Council – Formas, travel grant, 2012.
- Research stipend from the Swedish Society for Anthropology and Geography, 2012.
- Research stipend from the Swedish Society for Anthropology and Geography, 2011.
- Research stipend from the Helge Ax:son Johnsons Foundation, 2011.
- N.G. Kaul Memorial scholarship, 2010.
- Keith Runcorn Travel Award, 2010.
- BK Krenzer Scholarship: Society of Women Engineers, 2008.
- Cornell University Mario Einaudi Research Grant, 2008.
- Student Award, Western Chapter, Society of Wetland Scientists, 2007.
- Excellence scholarship for graduate studies, State Thuringia, Germany, 2005.